Advocacy and Action
- 350.org - Climate-focused campaigns, projects and actions led from the bottom-up by people in 188 countries.
- Ban the Bottle - Advocates for bans on one-time-use plastic water bottles.
- Citizens Climate Lobby - Trains and supports volunteers to engage elected officials, the media and the public to create the political will necessary to pass the Carbon Fee and Dividend proposal.
- Climate Access - Provides the knowledge that network practitioners need to take their communications to the next level.
- The Climate Mobilization - During WWII, Americans mobilized to save civilization. We can do it again on Climate.
- The Climate Reality Project - Al Gore's project trains people who want to be educators on Climate Change.
- Elders Climate Action - A grassroots movement of elders organized to create the political will necessary to change our nation’s energy policies. Grandparents Climate Action Day is an initiative of Elders Climate Action.
- League of Conservation Voters - Works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities.
- Mom's Clean Air Force - A community of moms and dads united against air pollution – including the urgent crisis of our changing climate – to protect our children’s health.
- Union of Concerned Scientists - Putting rigorous science to work to build a healthier planet and a safer world.
- US Climate Action Network (USCAN) - A vital and growing network for organizations active on climate change.
- Women's Earth & Climate Action Network - A solutions-based, multi-faceted effort established to engage women worldwide to take action as powerful stakeholders in climate change and sustainability solutions.
- California Environmental Justice Alliance - A statewide coalition of grassroots, environmental justice organizations.
- Chesapeake Climate Action Network (Chesapeake Bay area) - Fighting global warming in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
- Climate Action Network (San Diego) - Working to build support for our City's draft Climate Action Plan and ensuring its successful passage and implementation, as well as helping other cities in our region implement effective climate plans and climate protection policies.
- Climate Minnesota: Climate Generation, A Will Steger Legacy, a great model for regional action and education aimed at youth, educators and activists.
- Climate Solutions - Offers practical solutions to global warming in the Pacific Northwest.
- Conservation Law Foundation (New England) - Protecting New England's land, water and air.
- New York City Environmental Justice Alliance - A city-wide membership network linking grassroots organizations from low-income neighborhoods and communities of color in their struggle for environmental justice.
Please submit your climate change action organization to info@OurCommonEarth.org.
- Ceres - Mobilizing a powerful network of investors and business leader to build a thriving, healthy global economy (Reports).
- Climate Solutions Business Partnership Programs (Pacific Northwest) - Brings together executives and business leaders, entrepreneurs and investors who are committed to regional leadership, strong action to reduce global warming pollution and a transition to a clean and energy-efficient economy in the Pacific Northwest.
- Green Building Council - A global movement of professionals, businesses, innovators and community leaders working to build healthy, efficient and equitable buildings and communities for all.
- Labor Network for Sustainability - Constructing a path toward a sustainable future.
- Partnership for Responsible Growth - Promoting passage of the carbon fee proposal with half the proceeds to go toward reducing the corporate tax rate.
- Risky Business - Examines the economic risks presented by climate change and opportunities to reduce them.
Building Sustainable Communities
Center for Maximum Potential Building Systems - Conducts education, research and demonstration in life cycle planning and design emphasizing regional contexts as bases for responsible resource use relative to materials, energy, water, waste, food, and meaningful employment.
- Democracy Collaborative - Working to build community wealth through a new economic system where shared ownership and control creates more equitable and inclusive outcomes, fosters ecological sustainability, and promotes flourishing democratic and community life.
- Earth Day Network Green Cities Campaign - Helping cities and communities around the world accelerate their transition to a more sustainable future.
- Global Green Cities - Evolving Models for Sustainable Urban Growth.
- Institute for Local Self Reliance - Providing innovative strategies, working models and timely information to support environmentally sound and equitable community development.
- Institute for Policy Studies: Climate Policy Program - Supporting the transition from a financially extractive, fossil fueled economy to equitable, democratic and local living economies.
- Energy Justice Network - Supporting communities threatened by polluting energy and waste technologies.
- Green for All - Working to build an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty.
- Greenaction for Health & Environmental Justice - A multiracial grassroots organization that works with low-income and working class urban, rural, and indigenous communities to fight environmental racism and build a clean, healthy and just future for all.
- Idle No More - One of the largest Indigenous mass movements in Canadian history – sparking hundreds of teach-ins, rallies, and protests across Turtle Island and beyond. What began as a series of teach-ins throughout Saskatchewan to protest impending parliamentary bills that will erode Indigenous sovereignty and environmental protections, has now changed the social and political landscape of Canada.
- Indigenous Environmental Network - Empowering Indigenous Nations and communities towards sustainable livelihoods, demanding environmental justice and maintaining the Sacred Fire of our traditions.
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy - Works locally and globally at the intersection of policy and practice to ensure fair and sustainable food, farm and trade systems.
- Institute for Policy Studies - A community of public scholars and organizers linking peace, justice, and the environment in the U.S. and globally.
- NAACP Climate Justice Initiative - Global climate change has a disproportionate impact on communities of color in the United States and around the world. The NAACP Environmental and Climate Justice Program was created to educate and mobilize communities to address this human and civil rights issue (Climate Justice Toolkit).
- Oxfam - A global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice.
- Sierra Club Environmental Justice Program - Exploring the linkages between environmental quality and social justice, and promoting dialogue and increased understanding and appropriate action.
Also see Environmental Justice and Faith and Religion in the Learning Center for resources and organizations working on issues related to Environmental Justice.
Protecting Wildlife and the Biodiversity of our Planet
- Biodiversity for a Livable Climate - The power of the natural world to combat climate change.
- Earth Day Network - Diversifies and activates the environmental movement worldwide.
- Earth Justice - The earth needs a good lawyer. Environmental Justice provides the legal backbone for more than a thousand organizations, large and small, working to hold those who break our nation’s laws accountable for their actions.
- Environmental Defense Fund - Guided by science and economics, the Environmental Defense funds tackles urgent threats with practical solutions.
- Friends of the Earth - Urges policymakers to defend the environment and work towards a healthy environment for all people.
- Greenpeace - Uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions.
- National Wildlife Federation - Protecting wildlife, inspiring future generations.
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Working to safeguard the earth—its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends.
- Sierra Club Wild America Program - Sierra Club is doubling down in the fight to preserve our wild heritage in the face of threats from mining, drilling, and climate disruption.
- World Wildlife Fund - Climate change poses a fundamental threat to the places, species and communities WWF works to protect.
Faith and Stewardship
- Alliance on Religion and Conservation (ARC )- Works with 12 faiths world wide. These faiths and their networks embrace 85% of the world's population: some 5 billion human beings.
- Center for Earth Ethics - Regards our ecological crisis as the consequences of a deeper malady: the dominant economic development agenda that results in the exploitation of people and nature for short-term and inequitable financial gain, Union Theological Seminary.
- Conservatives for Responsible Stewardship - Promoting responsible stewardship and conservation, empowering fellow conservatives, and advancing the original conservative philosophy that compels us to be good stewards of our natural heritage.
- Green Faith Interfaith Partners for the Environment - Inspiring, educating and mobilizing people of diverse religious backgrounds for environmental leadership.
- Interfaith Action on Climate Change IMAC - Promoting the People's Climate Covenant, a formula for U.S. leadership at the Paris Climate Talks, December 2015.
- Interfaith Coalition on Energy (Philadelphia) - Inspiring congregations to reduce the costs of operating their facilities.
- Interfaith Power & Light - Serving as faithful stewards of Creation by responding to global warming through the promotion of energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy.
- Moral Action on Climate - A coalition of Faith, Social Justice, Secular and Environmental leaders for moral action on climate justice.
- National Religious Coalition on Creation Care - The Earth is God’s and all that is in it; Thou shall not destroy the earth nor despoil the life thereon.
- Our Voices - Bringing faith to the climate talks. Make no mistake. Climate change is not just an environmental problem. It is a humanitarian and development emergency, and it's already affecting many vulnerable communities. This is why, as people of faith, we believe that climate change is a moral issue.
See Faith and Religion for additional resources and organizations focusing on the moral issues of climate change and stewardship.
- Growing Power - Provides training and technical assistance to help people develop local community food systems.
- Land Institute - Works to ensure food security by replacing the current extractive and chemically intensive model for agriculture with a sustainable model inspired by nature.
- Regeneration International - Supports and promotes the practice of regenerative organic agriculture.
Renewable Energy and Reducing Our Dependence on Fossil Fuels
- Beyond Extreme Energy - No new permits for fossil fuel infrastructure - Renewable energy NOW.
- Business Council for Sustainable Energy - Dedicated to implementing market-based approaches to reducing pollution and providing a diverse, secure mix of energy resources.
- Green Peace - Working to achieve a world with 100% renewable energy.
- Public Citizen, Climate and Energy - Advocates for affordable, clean and sustainable energy.
- Soil Carbon Coalition - Helps people shift from a problem-solving orientation to a creative one, focused on the solar power of the biosphere.